Thursday, March 17, 2011

Golden Girl

Here's a fun piece on Blake Lively. I especially admired her grace and drive in this part:
...After greeting the designer Tory Burch and Vogue’s event director, Sylvana Soto-Ward, and hopping up and down in wobbly heels upon seeing John Galantic, the president of Chanel, Ms. Lively eventually made her way to a table. “I was just having a conversation and I looked down and saw ‘Chanel: Dinner in Honor of Blake Lively’ ” she said, pointing to her menu. “It’s crazy.”

And yet there is nothing haphazard about Ms. Lively’s current perch atop fashion’s hierarchy. “I had other opportunities and I would say, ‘Thank you so much, but I am holding out for Chanel,’ ” she said. “That’s who I want to be the face of. And people would say, ‘Well, that’s unrealistic, they only hire Europeans,’ and I said: ‘Well, how great. I’ll be the first then.’ ”
Read the NYT article.

Why Women Aren’t C.E.O.s, According to Women Who Almost Were

"It’s not a pipeline problem. It’s about loneliness, competition and deeply rooted barriers." Read more in the NYT .