Tuesday, April 14, 2015

How to Declutter Your Mind and Unleash Your Willpower by Using “Bright-Line” Rules

An excerpt:
First, bright lines shift the conversation in your head from one of sacrifice to one of empowerment. When you don’t have a bright line established and you choose not to do something, the tendency is to say, “Oh, I can’t do it this time.” Conversely, when you do have a bright line clearly set, your response can simply be, “No thanks, I don’t do that.” Bright lines help you avoid making just-this-once exceptions. Instead, you are following a new identity that you have created for yourself
This is one of my favorite philosophies. I used to try to turn down shots when out with friends saying "I don't want one" or "I don't like shots." Ultimately, it was both easier to do and my friends respected it more when I say "I don't do shots." Identity shift - Bright-line answer.

Read more on James Clear's blog.

Why Women Aren’t C.E.O.s, According to Women Who Almost Were

"It’s not a pipeline problem. It’s about loneliness, competition and deeply rooted barriers." Read more in the NYT .