Sunday, October 26, 2008

"Out of a Job, and Realizing Change Is Good"

With the increasing banking crisis, more and more professionals on Wall Street are finding themselves jobless. Jenny Hourihan Bailin writes about her career change:

...The next day, relief poured over me because, after 26 years, I had actually wanted a change. Now I didn’t have to justify leaving an admirable career and a high-paying job. I was free to think about what my next chapter should be. Having been conservative with money, I was well prepared to withstand a long period of joblessness...

...I no longer had the same grueling work hours, and it was delicious to have time to myself. I resolved to enjoy the summer with my husband and our two girls: we went to the beach and studied Spanish in Guatemala. I took yoga and read “War and Peace.” There was no more corporate box at the U.S. Open, but we bought the cheap seats, went as a family for the first time, baked in the sun and had a great time...

...My outplacement counselor says that finding a job is a numbers game and that it will take time, as I am not a traditional candidate for many nonprofit jobs. The job won’t find me, and I have to make the case for how I could make a contribution. Renewed by rest, my confidence bolstered by the generosity of people I meet, I feel energized, eager to start a new career, and open to possibility...

Read the rest of the NY Times article here.

Why Women Aren’t C.E.O.s, According to Women Who Almost Were

"It’s not a pipeline problem. It’s about loneliness, competition and deeply rooted barriers." Read more in the NYT .